Sunday 2 August 2015

Time for a new challenge over at Happy Little Stampers .....

Hi there challenge fans,

It's time for a new theme over at Happy Little Stampers.  For this months CAS Challenge we'd like you to use some ........
MASKING
on your project

There are many ways to use masking ...... here's a few ideas for you .....
Keep things nice and simple and use masking tape to create a border on your cards or to mask off a section and create an inky panel on your project.

Use masking fluid to paint in all those fiddly small images that you don't want to get colour on ..... ink away at the background and then remove the fluid leaving a nice white image behind.

Make your own masks from paper, or post it notes to create fabulous background scenes .... great for doing hills etc.

Or do like I've done on my inspiration piece ..... cut masks for stamped images so that you can create movement and depth to your projects ......


When you're using this technique .... remember that whatever you want at the front, or in the foreground, on your finished piece, this has to be stamped FIRST.  

So ..... to start ..... I stamped the large butterfly in the centre of my card.  Stamped the image again onto a Post-It note, cut around it keeping just inside the lines, and then placed it over the stamped image, to mask it .....


Next I masked off the bottom section of my card using a piece of copier paper and some masking tape, over the top of the already masked butterfly.

I then took my smaller butterfly and stamped either side of the large one, slightly over the edge of the masking tape.
I made myself some more masks, as before, for the smaller butterflies, covered up the ones I'd stamped (leaving the large one covered too) and then continued to stamp more small butterflies, each time overlapping the previous ones.  Just remember to move your masks around as you stamp, covering each butterfly as necessary.

Once I was happy with the butterflies, I added a touch of colour around the edges using Distress ink. I wanted the butterflies to remain white so, I made sure that each one was covered by a mask as I went around with the ink.
Once this was done I removed all the masks ......


See how the touch of colour gives a nice crisp edge along where the masking tape was.

Next I added some colour to the centre butterfly using Spectrum Noir pencils .....


And finished off with a sentiment ....


I always like to add a little something to the inside of my cards so I made use of those butterfly masks again ......


My tip is when you make a mask for a particular rubber stamp ..... don't throw it away.  Keep a folder to store them in or better still store them with the actual stamp if you can.  You never know when you'll need it again!

OK now it's over to you ..... why not join in the fun with Happy Little Stampers ..... and get those masks out!

Thanks for popping by .... enjoy the rest of your day.

Cheerio until next time


xx

11 comments:

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

LOVE the clever way you have let that one butterfly overhang the edge, Linda my friend! Also, perfect that that one is the only one in colour which helps the others stand out against that softly blended background! Great work! have a great week! Hazel xx

laurie said...

Your butterflies are beautiful! Great job masking!

Loll said...

Great job Linda. Love the different ways you've used masking on this beautiful card. LOVE the soft sponged blue background, and how you've only added colour to your main butterfly so it is the star! x

Kylie said...

Simply gorgeous, Linda! You definitely got the effect of the movement! I love how you coloured a little of only one butterfly too. Wonderful card! xx

Sue said...

Beautiful card, Linda. Fabulous making and stamping and a lovely sentiment!

Jan said...

I love your card and the ideas you taught . Thanks so much .,think I would like to join this challenge .

Toni said...

This is fantastic and thanks for the tutorial! The colored butterfly looks like it's coming right off the page!

toni

Bonnie said...

This is so amazing, Linda! I love how your main butterfly "hangs" over the edge! Gorgeous and creative!

Valentyna Komisarenko said...

Just love your card, Linda! So clever, and thanks for tips, have to try it!

Chrissie said...

Terrific stamping Linda, the masking is so beautifully executed and the colouring is just fab!
Chrissie

Susan said...

Absolutely beautiful! I LOVE the way it appears that the butterflies are floating off the card!