Wednesday 2 April 2014

We made it to the Rock ......

I can't believe it's Wednesday already ......

Hi folks,
It's proving to be another busy week ..... and I'm supposed to be taking things easy this month!!!

Last night hubby and I took part in one of the annual events on the island ...... the Tower of Refuge Walk. It's organised by the Douglas Development Partnership to help raise money for the RNLI.
I've mentioned the Tower on my blog before (see here).  It's one of the well known landmarks on the island and sits proudly in Douglas Bay. It's not often that it can be reached on foot .... this is how I'm used to seeing it .....


or like this when the tide is high ....

pictures taken from Google
But at certain times of the year, when the tidal conditions are suitable, this happens .......


You can actually walk across to Conister Rock ..... and last night about 3400 people did just that - hubby and me included.

Not having done the walk before we weren't sure how long we had to get across and back again so we were amongst the early ones to set off.  We waited on the beach for everything to be checked out and that it was safe to go ......


Then off we went .......  the tide wasn't quite out, but we went with the crowd anyway ......


The Irish Sea in April is flippin' cold!!!!  Good job our boots were waterproof .... well sort of ..... couldn't stop the sea from going in over the top (oops!!)


We made it over there though ...... it's further out than it looks and the actual tower is a lot bigger than I thought too



Here's a view of Douglas prom I've never seen before


It looked really strange seeing it from this angle, and it was a bit scary thinking just how much water there is when the tide comes in


We made it safely back across to dry land again, although my feet were a little wet by this time.  If only we'd have set off later ..... the tide was completely out, it was all beach.  Never mind .... we'll know for next year.


I apologise for the lack of craft today ...... it's not that I haven't been in the old craft room, quite the opposite.
There's FlitterGlu and MegaFlakes everywhere .... but that's another story.  Hopefully it will all be finished in the next couple of days then I'm looking forward to having some time for Me ...... to actually go in there and just play.   And ..... as if my Port Sunlight stash wasn't enough to be going on with .... look what dropped through the letterbox this morning .....


I think it's time for a quick coffee and a flick through my favourite magazine.

Thanks for popping by ..... enjoy the rest of your Wednesday.

Cheerio until next time

Linda
xx

2 comments:

Redanne said...

Hi Linda, I saw this on the news last night and have to admit I spent most of the time looking to see if I could spot you! Sadly I didn't but what a great thing to take part in! Well done for taking part. Anne xx

ElizabethR said...

Brrrr chilly after reading that. Hubby's Grandad started a bike shop in Rochdale (still there) and when he retired went to live on the IOM. Our lot are over there every year for the races and two day trials.Can't believe how much the prom looks like Llandudno. Elizabeth xxx